Mercury is a substance that is harmful to the human body. However, many dentists still place silver amalgam fillings, which are fillings that contain up to 50% mercury. Instead, Dr. Shane Nelson of Overland Park, KS, provides a safer and more aesthetic alternative called composite resin bonding. This material is highly recommended as a replacement. Unfortunately, the removal of silver amalgam fillings to replace them needs to be done with a dentist who follows safety protocols to remove mercury fillings in a way to reduce mercury exposure to both the patients and staff. Working with a mercury safe dentist is the first step in replacing your silver amalgam fillings. Our team closely follows the protocols recommended by the IAOMT, including the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique, or IAOMT SMART. Dr. Shane Nelson is one of four IAOMT SMART dentists certified in the state of Kansas.
What are the benefits of non-mercury fillings?
Composite resin fillings have several benefits, which make them the most desirable material for replacing areas of decay in natural teeth. Non-mercury fillings:
- Provide an effective seal to keep out bacteria, unlike silver amalgam fillings that expand and contract with temperate changes and leave the inner canals of a tooth exposed and susceptible to damage
- Are tooth-colored, allowing a dentist to place a filling that is not noticeable to others and difficult to discern from natural tooth enamel
- Are a safe and biocompatible material that does not expose the patient to harmful substances, as mercury fillings can
- Are performed in a single day and are very affordable when compared to the safety and efficacy they provide
- Eliminate the risk of mercury toxicity that can occur with traditional silver amalgam fillings
Ask about the benefits of a mercury safe dentist and his team.
Shane Nelson of Overland Park, KS, is pleased to provide a variety of services for new and established patients in his practice, conveniently located at 7001 West 121st Street. By calling (913) 297-7800, patients can book an appointment with our team and get started in learning more about the ways in which they can eliminate the risks associated with silver amalgam fillings and enjoy the benefits of tooth-colored alternatives.
Share this Article
Back to Mercury Safe Removal Page